Iron age settlements near Stoneycombe quarry and burial mounds near Dornafield.
Ipplepen lies in an elevated position between two ancient trackways. One an extension of the Icknield Way passes to the south of the village near where the archaeological excavations have been taking place between Dainton Cross and Wrigwell Cross. The other is what we call Moor Lane which is to the north of the village and links Dartmoor with the coast.
200 BC - 100AD
The name Ipplepen is a Celtic name. It translates as Ippela’s hill or enclosure.
100AD - 350AD
Roman remains have been found at the site of the old priory by the church and at the site of the stretch of Roman road near Dainton. The extent of Roman occupation remains unclear.
700 - 1000AD
Ipplepen Church was important within its district. The rural deanery in Saxon times was named after Ipplepen. It included a large area from the coast around Paignton to Ipplepen and beyond.
Ipplepen first recorded in a Saxon charter as Ipelanpaenne.
Domesday book records Ipplepen as the largest village in the area. It had 37 smallholders with their families, 16 cottagers and three serfs or slaves which make 56 families – perhaps 280 people in all. The Norman Ralph of Fougeres had been appointed Lord of the Manor.
1100 - 1350
A priory (a small monastery) existed near the church. It was a dependent cell of the Augustinian Abbey of St. Pierre de Fougeres in Brittany.
The first record of Ambrook House as a Franklin’s mansion.
The St. Amand family had become Lords of the Manor. They were allowed to hold a law court, to fix a fair price for bread and beer and condemn people to death on the gallows which would have been in a field out towards Wrigwell.
King Edward 11 granted a market on Thursdays and two fairs on the feasts of St. John and St. Andrew – possibly at Stallage Common and Mayfair.
1430 - 50
The rebuilding of Ipplepen Church on the site of previous Saxon and Norman churches
Henry Palk described as the owner of Ambrook
The Church House Inn in Ipplepen (now the Wellington) is described as the Parish House and included a Barn and a piece of land called the Green on the north side with dwelling houses called the Almshouses. The Green is now the Wellington Car Park and the Almshouses a private residence called the Old House
1642 - 1649
The images on the Rood Screen in the Church are covered with black paint to deter attacks from Roundhead soldiers in the Civil War.
After the sale of the manor lands Ipplepen becomes a village of many small landowners.
There were 165 families living in Ipplepen with about 750 people in all.
The first Wesleyan chapel is built behind the houses on the east of the village square. A Gothic archway is all that remains.
Organised education began in the village. The school was to the back of the Wellington Inn and intended to cater to the educational needs of the poor of the village.
The railway was extended to Totnes passing near Dainton
The present Wesleyan Chapel was built. John Bowden, a local corn and cider merchant based at Park Hill, provided half the costs including the chapel, the Manse and the schoolrooms.
The Ipplepen Cottage Garden Society was established. The Society has held an annual July show ever since excluding the war years.
Restoration work begun on the Rood Screen in St. Andrew’s church.
A tree was planted in the square to commemorate the coronation of George V and Queen Mary
Commemoration of the village war memorial which had been erected and paid for by local subscriptions.
The Ipplepen Unionist Club premises were opened by the sitting Member of Parliament Major Harvey. This building is thought to have been built in 1885 for the use of the Constitutional Club. It is currently in use as the Conservative Club.
Ipplepen’s first Co-op store was opened on the site of the current Post Office.
Severe flooding followed a cloudburst with much damage in the village and surrounding areas.
A street party was held to celebrate the end of World War Two.
The old English tradition of beating the bounds was revived.
Ipplepen Drama Group was formed. This group has been very successful and continues to stage a variety of productions.
The new village hall opened with funds raised by local people together with a free grant from the Ministry of Education.
Bridge Street was widened to accommodate the needs of modern traffic. Several very old properties were destroyed.
The Rood Screen was completely restored.
A new school was built to accommodate the increasing population.
After giving a performance at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, encouraged by Leslie Crowther and George Martin the village children make a Christmas record.
A lorry crashes in to the Village Bakery causing severe damage to the building – fortunately no-one was hurt.
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church is opened in Ipplepen
The Village holds a street party to celebrate the Queen’s jubilee.
Ipplepen’s Bowling Club opened with an all-weather green
1980 - 1990
A number of new housing developments including Dornafield, Croker’s Way and Tremlett Grove.
1990 - 2001
A number of shops close including the butcher’s shop on the site of Osborn Close. Barnfield Stores on the Clarendon Road estate and Brook Cottage stores in the old Credeford buildings at the corner of Dornafield Road.
A new medical centre is built behind Silver Street. The remains of a medieval priory were discovered on the site.
The Village Library closes.
2014 - 2016
Significant finds of national importance are discovered during a series of archaeological digs near Dainton.